Laptop is a strong term at times. Before laptops there were MAINFRAMES. MiniComputers. Desktop Machines. Portable computers. Luggables. Eventually a computer that could be rested upon one's very lap without crushing your femurs, or scalding your rectorus femorus, but Lap-Top-Computer isn't always as lovely and lithe as a mid-00s apple powerbook or macbook. Even now, Gaming and high-performance portable computers can only be considered laptops in form factor. Try cooking your legs with nothing but a couple mm of plastic between you and a howling 4090m graphics card and you might smell longpork.
Anyway. I've been slowly collecting old industrial computing crap. It looks neat, it's purpose-designed instead of price designed. it often comes with mounting points to allow it to be Voltroned to other crap as-needed. Behold!:
Guests to the party include a $12 chinese DC-DC UPS designed to run on random 18650 cells, and a Ryobi knock-off battery's guts I yoinked from the battery recycling box at work. First up, no computing matters if you can't see what it did, so lets check the screen:

Good lord Blogger has never been improved as a platform since Obama still had us hopeful. I've no idea what this giant link is for and can't seem to neuter it. Probably my fault one way or another.
does this work? hell.
Oh. After hitting Publish it unscrewed that text all being a link.
ANYWAY. That's the screen from a fairly cheap Hyosung ATM. A few years ago I pulled it from a dumpster, cleaned it, piped it's power input to a barrel jack, and stickered it for Future me to know what it was for before tossing it's lovely teal handle and other random mounting hardware. I'd suspected when I got it to work it was likely trivial to retrofit it for lower voltage power, but when i cracked it open I found a set of SMD jumpers for 24 and 12v use:
All i had to do was move the jumper 0 ohm resistor (i assume) to the 12v pads and it powered up on 12v just dandy.
shart








No comments:
Post a Comment